Viewer Mail #3: Is John Locke really special?

on

First things first: I apologize to those of you who were eager for a posting yesterday (read: Ricki). As I have pointed out for the last several weeks, my day job is interfering with my blogging. Horrible, I know. I’m not sure how this will all pan out, but until Charlie and I are paid to write about Lost (anyone? Anyone?), we have to keep our day jobs. Which means I need to do my work. Which is why there wasn’t a post yesterday. And I’m sorry.

Alrighty, kids. Today’s Dharma Blog Viewer Mail question comes from Anonymous, who asks: “I know the man just rose from the dead, but I've been starting to doubt Locke is special. What do you think? Is John Locke really special?”

Wow, Anonymous. WOW! This is hallowed ground you’re walking on here. People (especially Charlie) don't like hearing that their Locke isn't the Chosen One. I’m going to call it right now: commenters are going to get really upset and probably type in all caps. Random moments will probably be brought up that all of us already know about, that don't really prove anything. Someone will probably call me a bad name.

Frankly, tackling this question means going against everything (and I mean everything) that Charlie (and others) believe. So, I’d like to apologize to Charlie before I write my response to this question:

Hey, Charlie. I hope you’re having fun in Colorado. I’m going to answer the above question from Anonymous for today’s Viewer Mail. Please don’t be mad at what I’m about to say. I know you like Locke more than a friend…and I know you think he is special. So, I hope you’re not mad at me. Can I still be your Constant? Love, Maggie

(Deep breath.) John Locke isn’t special.
Anonymous, your question will require a significant amount of research and thinking on everyone’s part. I’ll try to give a brief outline of evidence that supports your theory, but I’m going to leave it up to the commenters to refute it. I’m going to have to agree with you that some qualities that appear to make Locke “special” are also found in other people. Three examples come to mind right away:

(1) Locke’s paralysis was healed on the island…but so was Rose’s cancer.
(2) Locke could hear Jacob…but that doesn't mean other people can't (even though we've seen no evidence of this.)
(3) Locke found Jacob’s cabin…but Hurley did, too.

Now think about this: it could be argued that Locke deemed himself special. We all know that this whole time travel business has really confused me. However, it seems like part of the reason that Richard believes Locke is special is because Locke told him so. It could be that Locke has created his own destiny by setting himself up (through word-of-mouth) to be a leader…when really the only evidence for this came from Locke himself. I am really intrigued by this idea…it is very chicken versus egg, which is very Lost-y. Maybe Richard, like all of us, has been caught up in Locke’s meddling with the timeline.

Okay, here’s another example. We have seen Locke fail three tests to determine if he was special. First, Locke failed when he was supposed to choose the compass and he chose the knife. Second, Locke failed when he was supposed to choose to go to the Mittelos Biosciences Summer High School camp, but he chose to not go. Finally, Locke failed when he was supposed to kill his father…and he had Sawyer do it.

Another example? Okay. Locke has always appeared to be very “in-tune with the island”. What if this is because Locke is the only one really making an effort to get to know the island? Perhaps Locke is able to see power and magic in the island because he is the only one open to it. You can’t argue that Locke has been through a lot in his life…and took his island remedy as a huge sign. After all, Locke was at a point when he needed meaning in his life.

Okay, okay, I’ll stop. Please don’t cry, Charlie!
I know, Charlie. You disagree with all of this. And honestly, I really do hope Locke is special…especially for Locke’s sake.

However, I think Anonymous might be onto something when (s)he suggests Locke might just be a pawn in what seems like a political battle for the island. Ben, Widmore, Jacob, Richard, Christian…they are all pulling Locke in different directions. In fact, there are very few (if any?) consistencies in their messages/requests/demands to/of Locke:

(1) Ben says Locke has to kill his Dad. Richard tells him to have Sawyer do it.
(2) Christian says Locke has to push the frozen donkey wheel. Ben does it himself.
(3) Christian says Locke has to die. Widmore says that can happen. Ben stops him at first, but later ends up making it happen.
(4) If Jacob needs help, why hasn't Richard helped him? I’m assuming that Ben isn't helping him.

…the whole resurrection thing…
I know. This sort of throws my post out the window. The whole resurrection thing baffles me, too. I don't think we know enough about the whole situation, so right now, it only puts Locke on level footing with Christian (and Claire perhaps).

I will point out, however, that Christian seemed to have known it would happen. You could argue that this means Jacob did, too (if Christian is, in fact, speaking for him)…

Okay, your turn!
Some of you might disagree with this whole post. That’s okay…I disagree with a lot of it, too! However, I hope this post reminds us all to look at the assumptions we make about this show from all angles. Things aren’t always as they seem…

Go ahead and tear apart the whole post in the comments section…I’m ready for you!

Namaste,
Maggie

5 Snarky Comments:

Anonymous said...

i could go either way on this locke thing. i really like the idea that he has sort of made himself special (or not) through events that transpired during the time travel.

what about when he fell from the 7th story window and lived? are we just calling that a miracle?

also, locke can see christian shepherd and maybe claire (i can't remember if he saw claire or not). has anyone else seen christian or claire?

Anonymous said...

Jack sees Christian a few times on the island in season 1, Kate sees Claire back in Cali huddled over Aaron..."don't you dare bring him back"

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, the idea of Locke not being special intritues me, and you certainly laid out a good case.

BUT (and you had to know a but was coming), I think his resurrection really throws the not-special idea out the window. I do agree that he is being used for different reasons by the Widmore and Ben sides, but I don't think he's just a pawn. He seems to be too important to just sacrifice as a pawn.

I think the problem is Locke doesn't really understand his specialness yet. He's still trying to find his destiny, I guess. I think once we understand exactly what his specialness means, we will understand exactly what the "war" is and what is at stake.

Unknown said...

I fully subscribe to the Locke is the messiah theory. However I think that this question is a really important one. It also very much pertains to your and Charlie's Christianity discussion. I mean was Jesus really special? Or are people desperate to find meaning in their lives and continue to perpetuate the Jesus thing to help fill that void? Special is all relative here I think. Maybe anyone could become the messiah if they're willing to take on that role.

My question is where the f are Rose and Bernard? How will Desie get back to the island? Where is Claire in this time continuum? Why is Kate wearing her hair in a Zena warrior princess ponytail these days?

I love the blog. You guys rock.

Anonymous said...

OK two things.

First, I think it's obviously not Locke inhabiting Locke's body, it's Jacob's "friend" from earlier in the episode. He found a loophole and is now charading as Locke, but it's not Locke himself.

And also, when Locke fell out of the window, did he die and Jacob brought him back to life with his touch, or was Jacob just there when he came back to consciousness to show his face?