If it happened, it happened. End of story...right?

on

Yipee!! Happy Lost Day and April Fool’s Day!

And a very, very happy birthday to my Dad. I love you!

Tonight: Whatever Happened, Happened
I don’t know about you guys, but I have been thinking about this phrase for the last few weeks, ever since it was uttered by a dazed Faraday in the middle of the jungle (sidenote: where is that guy?? And Des?? I miss them both!). While I like to think understand the full implications of the statement, it is quite possible that tonight will put my explanation to shame. Actually, given that tonight’s episode is written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, I’d say it is highly, highly likely my explanation will be put to shame!

Nevertheless, I shall charge ahead!

Simply put, “whatever happened, happened” means that you cannot create a paradox of time. In other words, Sayid can't go back in time and shoot Ben unless that has always happened. Sayid can't add new events to the past. Whatever happened, happened.

Here’s another good example. In March of 2001, Charlie and I went to see the
Destiny’s Child Survivor World Tour at the Pershing Auditorium. Now, if Charlie and I went back in time to March 2001, we would have to go to the concert again. We couldn’t, say, go play Capture the Flag at Antelope Park instead. Charlie and I cannot undo the fact that we went to that concert. Whatever happened, happened. Get it?


Okay. So are you saying that Sayid really did shoot Ben?
Well, if you are on board with this theory as I am, then yes. Sayid shooting Ben happened in the actual timeline of Ben’s life. Somehow, Ben survived the shooting, became the leader of the Hostiles/Others, screwed with the Oceanic 815 survivors, turned the Donkey Wheel, killed Locke, came back to the island on Ajria 316, and was slapped upside the head by Sun and her canoe paddle. (whew!) From that moment on, we don’t know what is going on with Ben. However, Faraday’s theory says that regardless of what happens in 1977, all of these events will eventually happen.


So Ben isn’t dead?
No, I don’t think Ben is dead. There are really two ways the writers can explain how he survives…and I’m super excited to find out what method they use.


Option 1: Paging Dr. Jack Shepherd! Paging Dr. Juliet Burke!
This scenario involves a lame, medically-improbable “Grey’s Anatomy”-like explanation for Ben’s survival from one of our resident physicians. For example, Jack might say, “It was touch and go there for a bit, but I was able to remove the bullet entirely and stop the bleeding. He’s going to be fine.”

Option 2: Paging mystical island powers! 
This scenario still involves Dr. Shepherd and/or Dr. Burke, but they realize something is happening that, medically, shouldn’t be happening. For example, Jack might say, “The bullet is lodged in his heart, but it is still beating!! Amazing!” (Sidenote: This would be a nod to the island not letting someone die before they have ‘finished their work.’)

My prediction is that Jack and Juliet are going to end up in scenario 1, saving the life of someone who will eventually screw up their lives. And it will be ironic. And whatever happened will actually…happen. (Ah, brain hurts. Brain hurts.)

Guest Stars Tonight!
Oh boy, kids. Fasten your seat belts. Tonight, we’re going to see: Nestor Carbonell as Richard Alpert, Kim Dickens as Cassidy, Doug Hutchison as Horace Goodspeed, Susan Duerden as Carol Littleton, Sterling Beaumon as young Ben, Patrick Fischler as Phil, Jon Gries as Roger Linus, William Blanchett as Aaron, Sebastian Siegel as Erik, Candace Scholz as Debra, Susan King as sweet young woman, Miko Franconi as grocery worker, Scott Moura as manager and Olivia Vickery as Clementine.

No way…Susan King as sweet young women!?!?! YES! (pause) Ha. I jest.

Any episode with Richard Alpert is money in my book. I wonder ‘where’ he will be: 1977 or 2008. The more I think about it, we don’t know what happened with the Others from 2005 to 2008…so an 2008 Alpert cameo
might be a good thing. Can I also add that we are freaking WAY overdue for some 2008 storyline progress? Locke seemed so important earlier in this season, but we’ve now gone three episodes without seeing him. I think it is about time for 2008 Locke to reunite with Alpert and figure out where they go from…there. Or whatever. However, Alpert in 1977 could mean that he was there Ben when was shot/resurrected, which could be a reason that Ben was on the fast-track to Otherly leadership. So in either year, it is a good thing. And it will rock. Yay.

Let the record show that I’ll take a side of young Ben and Roger any day, too. Plus, I’m definitely up for some more sentimental Carol Littleton moments (Clarie’s Mom). Come to think of it, the inclusion of Aaron and Carol on the guest star list makes me wonder if those theories about Kate dropping Aaron off with Grandma Carol are actually going to come true. I don’t have an opinion one way or the other…the fact that Kate decided to abandon Aaron, no matter how selfless/good her intentions were, makes me shake my head. Remember, kids: Maggie says “Don’t abandon babies.”


But what I am really excited about is Cassidy and Clementine!!!

Wait…why are you excited?? Who is Cassidy? And who is Clementine???
For those who don’t remember, shame on you. Cassidy was a recently divorced woman who Sawyer hooked up with, then taught how to con before long…conning her (ew, that sounds really dirty). Sawyer took all of her money and left her...even though he seemed to actually like her and feel guilty about it. 


Later on, she meets Kate in a few flashbacks and eventually, Cassidy meets Sawyer in jail to tell him that he had a daughter named Clementine Phillips. So do you remember the secret thing that Sawyer whispered into Kate's ear before jumping off the helicopter in last season’s finale? The popular theory is that he told her about Cassidy and Clementine, and asked Kate to either (1) “take care of them”, (2) “tell them he was a hero”, or (3) “give them some money.” Based on their inclusion in what seems to be a Kate-centric flashback outing, it looks like Kate kept her word...and this was probably the person Kate was talking to on the phone when Jack got all paranoid in “Something Nice Back Home.”

Okay…so while a Clementine/Cassidy appearance might not be
as exciting as I originally thought, I’m up for a few answers in this area of the plot. Plus, we all know I love cute kids, so I can’t wait to see how adorable Clementine is…

TiVo says…
Kate goes to extreme measures to save Ben's life when Jack refuses to help. Meanwhile, Kate begins to tell the truth about the lie in order to protect Aaron.

Oh. Okay. Well, crap.
So I guess I should have read this before writing the stuff before about options 1 and 2 for Ben. I guess Jack throws that whole Hippocratic Oath thing out the window and refuses to help bullet-ridden Ben. Hmm. Interesting. And ironic! I mean, in 2004, Jack hated Ben, yet saved his life by performing spinal surgery. But in 2008, after Jack has been working with Ben to get the whole gang back to the island (seemingly on good terms), he is presented with a situation to save Ben’s life and refuses. So…what’s up with that?

Well, whatever it means, it forces Kate to go to “extreme measures” to save Ben's life. Hmm. This is also ironic since, less than a week ago, she was so hopping mad at Ben…slapping Jack for talking about his funeral and walking away from Ben/Jack’s proposal to return to the Island at the marina. So what’s Kate’s deal? Why does she care all of the sudden? I’m not sure what they mean by “extreme measures” either. If we’re talking about medical options on the island, things are a little limited these days, right? I mean, they couldn’t deliver baby Ethan just a few days ago…so a bullet wound might really throw any Dharma ER interns for a loop. I read on another blog that maybe Kate asking Juliet to help is considered the extreme measure…to which I say ‘lame lame lame.’ That is a stretch. If that is how they explain it, I’ll be disappointed. Kate going to the Others for help could be extreme…too extreme, actually. Plus, who would their doctor be? And how would Kate know about her/him? All very strange. No idea how that will play out.

The second half of the description is clearly about the flashback portion of the episode, where Kate begins to tell the truth about “The Lie” in order to protect Goober Aaron. So who does she tell the “truth” to? I’d like to put $5 on Carol Littleton and $50 on Cassidy. Any takers?


Maggie is super excited about tonight.
Overall, I’m definitely excited about tonight’s little episode. As Charlie and I have noted numerous times before, any episode written by Cuse and Lindelof means there is a high probability that we will receive some serious mythology or big picture revelations. YESSSSS.

What do you think? Is Ben dead? Who has Aaron? Where in time is Richard? And did you, also, go see Destiny’s Child’s 2001
Survivor tour?

Namaste,
Maggie

4 Snarky Comments:

Batman said...

Good preview. Of course I completely agree with your assessment of "whatever happened, happened." And it will be interesting to see what "extreme measures" Kate will take to save Ben.

On a side note, Destiny's Child? Really? I have to say, Charlie, that knocks you down a few pegs in my book. That's almost as bad as going to a Sheryl Crowe concert (nevermind, nothing could possibly be that bad).

Charlie said...

I can't believe you just outed me for going to the concert. You've jeopardized my reputation as an arrogant music snob.

Batman. Nothing is as bad as an SC show. My god.

I actually have the following rule (which I adhere to strictly, just ask my friends)...if I'm at a bar, and an SC song comes on naturally (not put on a jukebox by a friend) then I will buy everyone I'm with a shot, so that they may experience something enjoyable in the midst of the succubus of fun, talent and musical credibility that is Sheryl Crow's music. This has cost me a fair amount of money over the years, but totally worth it. Oh, and the shot of choice? What else: a Red-Headed Slut. God I hate Sheryl Crow.

That aside, great preview! I, too, get amped about any Damon-Carlton joint, and I think we'll fill in some nice blanks tonight. I really hope Kate tells Claire's mom about everything that happened. I think that would be more realistic than her trying to tell Cassidy. Of course, she probably trusts Cassidy more.


I apologize for the misdeeds of my past (Destiny's Child *shudder*), but I was young and foolish. I was, in short, a bugaboo.

Lincoln said...

Charlie, if you went to the Destiny's Child concert with ear plugs in, then all is forgiven.

Justin said...

Good preview Maggie...I am excited about tonight's episode too, as usual. Don't have much to say other than I have no clue what to expect. And like a true LOST fan, I've come to embrace that feeling. Cheers to that.

And Charlie, Destiny's Child huh? I can't blame ya for needing a little Beyonce in your life. My 11 year old niece absolutely adores her. Oh, and i think there is something worse than a Sheryl Crow show... that would be anybody attempting to cover her songs...anywhere.