Preview: La Fleur

on

It is Wednesday! Welcome to the first of your biweekly visits to the Dharma Blog. 

After last week’s intense The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham (check out Charlie’s review below if you missed it last week), tonight will take us back to the island…and likely start where we left off: at the reunion of now-Dharma-employee Jin with Arija 316 survivors Jack, Hurley and Kate in the lagoon. Oh, boy.

Tonight: La Fleur
My trusty Time Warner Cable Navigator tells me that tonight’s episode is called
La Fleur. My rudimentary French tells me that ‘la fleur’ means ‘the flower.’ Hmm. Whatever could this episode be about? Well, the episode description is as follows: “Sawyer perpetuates a lie with some of the other island survivors in order to protect themselves from mistakes of the past.

We all make mistakes.
(Especially Jason from The Bachelor.  Don't EVEN get me started...)

So let’s think about that description. What are they referring to when they say the ‘mistake of the past?’ What did Dharma really mess up that might pull our survivors down with them? Perhaps it is connected to the “Incident” that Marvin Candle referenced in an orientation film. Maybe it is a reference to Ben’s Purge? And what about the pregnancy issues on the island? Are we going to see the early stages of this crisis? What I want to know is how could Sawyer’s suggestion/idea that our survivors lie help them avoid said mistake?

The fact that Sawyer is included in the episode description pretty much tells us that this is going to be, in many ways, a Sawyer-centric episode. So, perhaps we need to think about on-island Sawyer…what he has seen, what he has experienced, and what he knows…and how those facts could connect to a ‘mistake of the past’. What springs to mind for you? 

I’ll tell you what I’m thinking about: Sawyer’s knowledge about Jughead. I realize that it may be too quick for the writers to bring Jughead back into the mix, but wouldn’t it stand to reason that Sawyer would freak out if someone were to alter Jughead to the point that it endangers everyone…nay, the whole island?

Okay, here’s my prediction. One of the shots of Sawyer in the promos shows him wearing a Dharma suit. So, perhaps the skipping survivors have become Dharma workers (this is ‘the lie’) in order to protect the island and/or the future from the ramifications of a Jughead explosion (this is 'the mistake').

Crazy talk, I know. What’s your idea?

Can you help me? I’m seriously confused.
Even though it’s only one sentence, this episode description is pretty interesting because it seems to fly in the face of the motto “whatever happened, happened.” I don’t get how Sawyer can protect the survivors from “mistakes of the past?” Weren’t they either a part of certain events, or not a part of them? It seems like our survivors choosing one path or another would have an impact on the future. Shouldn’t the universe course correct and eventually reach the inevitable outcome, even if our survivors attempted to avoid it?

Maybe this whole idea needs to be fleshed out a little bit more. The truth is, I’ve been thinking about it a lot. Mrs. Hawking and Daniel Faraday have conflicting theories. We’ve been given proof for and against both of them…and I’m not sure what I believe. 

Mrs. Hawking says “the universe has a way of course correcting itself.” 

Daniel Faraday says “whatever happened, happened.” 

According to what Daniel says, it is impossible to change anything in the past (unless, apparently, you’re ‘special’ like Desmond). According to what Mrs. Hawking says, you can temporarily change the past, but it will eventually catch up with you and make things happen that were supposed to happen (like Charlie’s inevitable death).

Initially, I thought the conflict between Hawking and Faraday’s theory represented a bigger conflux of the concepts of fate and free will. However, the more I think about it in terms of what is happening to the survivors on the time jumping island, it seems like there really is no such thing as free will. Faraday would say they can’t change the past, and what will happen, will happen. Mrs. Hawking says that even if they try to change the past, the universe will course correct. So if these are the only two options, what the heck are the survivors supposed to do?

My gut says that we already know what the overall outcome will be of any actions that take place tonight since we already know what the island is like in 2004.

Right?

Honestly, I feel like tonight’s episode is going to shine some light on this topic. I’ve prepared myself for the reality that my gut is probably wrong on this one. I’m guessing everything is going to change.

On the Guest Star list…
There will be a boatload (planeload?) of guest stars this week. Most have ambiguous names…and we have really no clue who they are or why they are there. That is, except for the man cast as “Other #1.” (I’m going to go with my gut that he is, in fact, an Other.) But really, I’m guessing that most/all of the additional guest stars are Dharma workers. Are they people we have met before? Maybe. I’m waiting with bated breath to meet a young Amelia (the older woman who came to Juliet’s house for bookclub on
A Tale of Two Cities). What about Annie, Ben’s best friend from childhood? And how about her parents? How about a young Goodwin? Or a young Ethan? Or a middle-aged Ellie? Gosh, the possibilities are exciting.

There is a new character named Amy listed on this week’s press release. She will be played by
24 alumna, Reiko Aylesworth. (I know for many of you that the union of 24 and Lost has been a long time coming…just like the The Wire fans were pretty excited when Matthew Abbadon showed up.) I know Charlie is very thrilled for her arrival.  Now, here’s an interesting excerpt from an interview with Aylesworth earlier this week…very telling, I think:

TVGuide.com: So, who is Amy?
Aylesworth: Good question. I’m trying to think of how I can describe her without giving anything away. You come upon Amy in the midst of the biggest crisis of her life. Actually, two of the most intense moments in her life are in this first episode.

Veddy veddy interesting, eh?  Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?  What's wrong with Amy?

Now, there are two familiar guest stars this week: Richard Alpert and Horace Goodspeed. Again, if the skipping survivors have become Dharma workers, the inclusion of Horace Goodspeed makes sense. It’s actually the inclusion of Richard that is more interesting. Since Horace Goodspeed (along with most of Dharma) died in the Purge before Oceanic 815 crashed on the Island, it really isn’t a big deal to have our survivors interacting with them in the 1970’s. However, any Alpert interaction with our Survivors would suddenly raise a TON of questions about the prior four seasons of Lost, since it would indicate that when 815 crashed on the Island in 2004, Alpert (…and the Others…) already knew some of them from the 1970’s.

Complicated, huh? I mean, the ramifications of any interaction tonight are bizarre. Did Alpert instruct the Others to leave Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and Jin alone in 2004 to ensure they end up in the future…well, actually, the past? Or did Alpert know that attacking/killing them would be useless since ‘whatever happened, happened’…and since they obviously ended up living on the Island long enough to, well, skip back to the past?

Watch and learn, my friends. I know I will!!

"Oh, good Lord!"
Elizabeth Mitchell, who plays Juliet, has said that tonight’s episode will be an important one for her character…and make you feel sorry for her and say “Oh, good Lord!” (That’s a direct quote from an interview this week.)

So, for all of you Juliet haters (you know who you are), suck it up tonight. She’s going to be around…maybe quite a bit.

Short, but sweet.
And there you have it! Discuss away! Looking forward to a lively comments section throughout the day.

Namaste,
Maggie

P.S.:  Sorry my post was a bit delayed today.  My job is starting to interfere with the blog.  Crazy, I know...  :)

8 Snarky Comments:

maggie said...

I wonder why the first line and the last line of my post are in size 5 font. Charlie????? S.O.S.! I can't fix it! :)

maggie said...

FIXED IT. Nevermind!

Anonymous said...

Not only am I a fan of your bloggings, but I started to read the Popular Mechanics blog about Lost. They talked about "Jughead" at length, and noted that if The Others followed Farraday's advice and buried the bomb, it could give the island little quirks. A couple that stand out: The radiation from the buried bomb could act like chemotherapy, or aid in curing cancer. It could also have effects on pregnant women on the island, causing birth defects or no birth at all.
Also, do you think that the original list drawn up by The Others has anything to do with the O6's time traveling antics? All of the players are there: Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley, and even though Jin and Sun were with Sayid circling the island, The Others were hip to their whereabouts, Sun did kill one of them after all.
An

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine anything happening with Juliet that could possibly make me feel sorry for her. All I have to do is think back to her telling Jin about Sun's affair...yep, I don't think I'll be feeling sorry for her anytime soon.

Charlie said...

Mags,
Great work! But I have one contention: "However, any Alpert interaction with our Survivors would suddenly raise a TON of questions about the prior four seasons of Lost, since it would indicate that when 815 crashed on the Island in 2004, Alpert (…and the Others…) already knew some of them from the 1970’s."

Not necessarily. Remember, when time travelers meet people in the past, the future versions of those people don't automatically remember (like Charlotte, taking a while to remember Faraday as the man who warned her; or Rousseau probably not remembering Jin). I think that, possibly, if the 815ers go meet Rich and the Others, they'll be meeting the 1970s versions. But Rich and the Others won't really remember it until 2005 (the point in the linear timeline where our travelers are). Does that makes sense? It's like this: events carried out in a time travel past do not automatically sync into the memories of the people involved. It takes time. Like Charlotte remembered Dharma-Daniel warning her a few days (technically) before it actually happened, even though, on the timeline, it happened 25 years ago.

It makes sense in my head.

bret welstead said...

Two big events in Amy's life? I'm guessing one of them is pregnancy. Joe, thanks for bringing the note about Jughead in here. Very interesting!

Maggie, what do you think is the significance of the title? What could "LaFleur" mean? Maybe it points to Amy. Last name, perhaps? According to imdb.com it's spelled as one word, not two, which inclines me to believe it's a last name. Then it's obviously French, which makes me wonder if tonight's episode will tie in with the French crew somehow. Maybe.

For the first time, we'll be recording tonight's episode on our new DVD recorder, which means we can watch it on our new LCD TV! I'm psyched!

Thanks for the great preview, Maggie! Looking forward to the review, Charlie!

D'Ann Lettieri said...

Can someone explain this? It comes from Doc Jensen's column today. Who are the French scientists? (Speaking of Dharma-era intrigue, here's a shout-out to reader Molly Lee, who believes, as many of you do, that the voice the French scientists heard reciting the Numbers on the radio belonged to Hurley. Are we about to find out that time-traveling Hurley recorded the very broadcast that contributed to his cursing?)

Charlie said...

Nice Hurley theory! I've heard rumblings of that, but I don't know why he would actively engage the numbers when he so fears them.

Regarding "Who are the French scientists?" I guess I don't understand your question, other than to say it's Danielle's crew. But you probably already knew that.