The Oceanic Six: What Do We Really Know?

on

I'm not sure who Marcus is, but apparently he stumbled upon our blog. While he was here, he left a comment on last week's post that has been giving me fits:

"Anyone believe Kate may not be one of the Oceanic 6? She has quite the checkered past. There are only three scenarios I can see for her being off the the island and not being jailed.
1) she is an O6 and was pardoned.
2) she is an O6 and was given a new identity which seems unlikely given the celebrity status the other O6 have.
3) she made it off the island with the other O6 but was able to go into hiding."

Thanks a lot, Marcus. I thought I knew what was going on with something on this show until I read that comment. Damn you.

"He's gonna be wondering where I am..."Kate's vague declaration from Through the Looking Glass sprouted guessing games rivaled only by the omnipresent "Who's in the coffin?" debates. "Who is he?" At first, many people assumed Sawyer. But the more we see Sawyer swayed by Ben's warnings that the con man has nothing to go back to, the more we start to think Sawyer isn't leaving Fantasy Island anytime soon.

Dearest Dharma Blogger Maggie will tell you without hesitation that "he" is Aaron, Claire's baby. Maggie claims to have an ongoing Desmond-like clairvoyance (or Claire-voyance. Pun!) about Ms. Littleton's untimely death. When I ask her why she thinks that, she usually starts crying. As I'm writing this post, Maggie has reprinted a conversation she had with a friend in which she unabashedly promises that Kate is "with child." Her other theory is that Kate takes Claire's baby when Claire (presumably) dies. Maggie thinks "he" is the baby that Kate is raising, be it her own or be it lil' Aaron Littleton. She'll also tell you that she doesn't believe Sawyer or Jack are the father. This sounds like a job for...


Yes! First time I've done that in at least a few weeks.

I can buy the Mama Kate theory. Maybe. But after last week, I've got a different idea: Is "he" Ben Linus? We know Ben can get off the Island, and we know he somehow caused Sayid to be beholden to him. If Ben can promise Kate anonymity (thus explaining Marcus's aforementioned third option) - and given his limitless connections and abilities, he probably can, somehow - he can probably make her go to work for him, too. God knows Kate can dish out an ass-kicking, especially when given access to a fuse, a lighter, explosives and an abusive stepfather. And while Sayid could work for Ben without the need for anonymity, Kate would require a new identity and a place to lay low. Ben, of all people, could give her that. And she could work for Ben, because what else does she have to go back to? Besides that handsome, young advertising copywriter in Nebraska named Charlie that she dates (whoops, total spoiler!).

If the Ben Linus theory is right (and it's probably not), that means Kate probably wouldn't be one of the much-ballyhooed O6 Heroes. A smoke monster-themed float in a ticker-tape parade is no place for a felon to hide, after all.

So If Not Kate, Who?
Yeah, I know. Again, if our only confirmed O6 members are Jack, Hurley and Sayid, then there's room for three more. The candidates - with my percentage of likelihood and a cryptic explanation of why - are as follows:

  • Aaron (60%. "Not without my baby," baby.)
  • Bernard & Rose (14%. Rose doesn't like having cancer. Bernard likes Rose)
  • Claire (55%. I'd say higher, but Maggie thinks she'll die. And Maggie is wise)
  • Jin & Sun (70%. Save the baby, save the marriage, save the cheerleader, save the world. Wait. Wrong show. But they're not necessarily a package deal)
  • Kate (75%. Marcus, I love your theory. But I can't commit to Kate not being an O6... yet. It's on my mind though)
  • Sawyer (10%. As explained before, he doesn't seem to mind Island life)
  • Locke (2%. Not unless he's tricked. Or promised a reunion with Helen...)
  • Vincent (.5%. Is a dog)
  • Desmond, Rousseau, Juliet, Alex or Karl (5%. Abaddon and crew would have a tough time explaining how these non-815'ers came to be. And they don't seem to like explaining things enough as it is. Plus, who really wants to learn more about Karl?)
  • Some random survivor (35%. I hate to think it's possible. But it is)
  • Ben (.00005%. We'd have to learn something big. He's off the Island, but he didn't travel with the O6, I'm fairly certain)

My guess on who the O6 are:
  • Jack
  • Hurley
  • Sayid
  • Aaron
  • Kate
  • Sun (No Jin? Yes, I think he'd stay on the Island if it meant a safe return for Sun and the baby)
And if it's not Kate (and now I kind of hope it's not), I'm going with Claire. Aaron needs a mommy.

Your Thoughts?
Okay, your turn. Post in the comments below with who you think the O6 will be. And tune in Thursday morning for the preview of Season 4 - Episode 5: Eggtown.

Namaste.
.charlie

4 Snarky Comments:

LJLA said...

Why would Kate want to leave? Like Sawyer, Kate has nothing for her on the mainland - unless you count her mother and abandoned husband. Unless Ben has a plan for her ass-kicking abilities off the island, why wouldn't he use the same line of reasoning on Kate that he did with Sawyer. There is something missing in her story that we don't know.

D'Ann Lettieri said...

I would just point everyone to the "Nothing is Certain" preview on the ABC site (the same "next time on LOST" after the last episode).

There are several frames of Kate in sunglasses getting her photograph taken by lots of press. If this is a flashback or dream sequence (which would just be a dirty
preview trick) then I would be comfortable assuming Kate doesn't get off the island as one of the official O6 - but if this clip is in real time or a flashforward it implies Kate's face is plastered all over the media. She would definitely be recognizable to the people out to get her, therefore she couldn't be passed off as Claire and she couldn't simply go into hiding.

Unless the Feds have given up on her or are conned (threatened) into leaving her alone, it would seem she has been given some kind of immunity. If she is pregnant, she might be given some temporary leniency which allows her to then go into hiding. But, I don't think she would leave the island unless she was certain she wouldn't end up in prison. She has spent a significant part of her recent life running, and I assume she doesn't want to go back to doing that. Who would?

Therefore, I believe Marcus's first suggestion is the most plausible, especially after seeing the preview. But, how does she negotiate a pardon from the island? And, regardless of a pardon, if she is famous her past will be exposed - and why would she go back for that?

If she does sneak off the island (and is not an O6er) how does Ben (??) protect her and what should we make of the preview clip with all the flashing cameras?

Truthfully though, I see no reason why Kate would leave the island at all - I think figuring out her motive will be very interesting.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised you haven't touched on the significance of "Faraday"...especially Faraday Efficiency and the Faraday Cage...there might be some relevance...

Anonymous said...

Wow, I make one post and I've achieved O6 celebrity status! I agree Kate is probably one of the O6, but these are the reasons that make me question that. 1) She is a felon. 2) The secrecy of her meeting with Jack. Why not just meet for a drink (Jack is booze hound at this point anyway) or coffee. 3) We've yet to hear her mention or acknowledge her fame like Jack, Hurley, and Sayid.

Just a couple nuggets for you. According the lostpedia.com timeline the past few episodes on the island took place on day 94. That would be xmas day 2004. Merry Christmas survivors of Oceanic Flight 815! Anyone know what happened on 12/26/2004?

By the way, great blog. I enjoy it muchly. Wish I would have found it sooner. You can check out some of my stuff at snarkthis.com. I blog on Lost & Jericho.