(Rev) When I get where I'm going

on

One of my favorite albums these days is Time Well Wasted by my man Brad Paisley (yes, the Brad Paisley who is married to Annie from Father of the Bride).

Perhaps you've heard this song, which was going through my head last night as we watched Charlie finish his life here on Earth (then again, we don't know if he is really on Earth...this island could be on another planet, things are so messed up.)


When I get where I'm going
on the far side of the sky.
The first thing that I'm gonna do
Is spread my wings and fly.

I'm gonna land beside a lion,
and run my fingers through his mane.
Or I might find out what it's like
To ride a drop of rain

Yeah, when I get where I'm going,
there'll be only happy tears.
I will shed the sins and struggles,
I have carried all these years.
And I'll leave my heart wide open,
I will love and have no fear.

Yeah when I get where I'm going,
Don't cry for me down here.


This post is in tribute to Charlie, who I think is on his way out (more on that later) (sorry, Charlie) (my character died, too, you know) (Shannon's real name is Maggie Grace) (then again, I was really happy when Shannon died because she was annoying).


The Looking Glass


The sequel to Alice in Wonderland was entitled Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There. Instead of being based on a card game like the original Alice, it's theme is a chess game. Yes, a chess game. Sound familiar? And the symbol for the Looking Glass station was the dharma hexagon with a white rabbit symbol. Hmm...white rabbits. Let's think here: the rabbit in Alice in wonderland? Ben's pet white rabbit from his childhood? Emily the Rabbit, the rabbit that my family adopted during the winters from Lincoln's Folsom Children's Zoo? Yes, yes, and yes.


Oh, I'm loooooving the Looking Glass station.


So Charlie knocks out Desmond (had to happen...) to dive into the ocean towards Looking Glass. After finding Titanic, he swims up to the Moon Dock (awesomeness) and joyful exclaims "I'm alive! I'm alive!" On Lost, most scenes that have some sort of jubiliation over surviving a threatening situation are followed by another threat to their life. In this scene, it happened to be two pink Power Rangers around the lap pool -- pointing guns at him and looking mighty brainwashed. (Question: Was one of these girls Annie from Ben's childhood???)


So let me get this straight. Juliet knew the Looking Glass existed, but she was told by Ben that the hatch was flooded from "an accident." So if she thought it was flooded, then she never saw people go in or out of that station, right? So who are these two Power Rangers? Was Juliet lying to us when she said the station was flooded, or was Ben lying to Juliet when he said the station was flooded?

I know I'm not supposed to trust Juliet, but I am going to have assume Ben is lying...because he is just a flat out liar. He lies and I think he looks like a creepy rabbit. (red beat-y eyes, pointy nose, general creepiness, etc.)


So what is going to happen to Charlie? Well, the previews show he is going to be tied to a chair and beat up. Tough luck, Charlie. Tough luck. I hate to say it, but I think that Charlie is going to die next week. He's going to flip the switch by the yellow flashing light, then die. My friend John stated this morning that he thinks Desmond's vision of Charlie drowning will occur after the Looking Glass is blown up....much like when Mikhail's station and the Pearl were blown up. Perhaps all of the stations have an emergency "blow up" quality...that if worse comes to worse, Ben & Co. can flip the switch and explode everything. I think that makes a whole lot of sense.

Side bar: Naomi. Do we believe her? Did Penny really send her? I doubt her more and more everyday. She seems content. She is not trying to take Desmond back to the ship that is 80 miles off shore. She is just "living" on the island with our guys. Why?? Wouldn't she be adament that they pack up and leave? Swim? Row? Anything? She seems to content to be who she says she is. We know she is feeling better (she is walking around, joking around, etc.). I just don't buy it. Call me doubting Thomas, I don't care. It just can't be that easy...that simple...that plain. Where is her boat? Why aren't they trying to find her? What theeeeee heck is her deal?

Question: Locke -- Dead or Alive?


I was disappointed that Locke didn't make an appearance last night. This leads me back to a question we had last week: is Locke dead or alive? Here are the two scenarios, fleshed out:

Locke is dead.
Like I said last week, if Locke is dead, then the whole Jacob-in-the-hut story line is going to have to be discovered again by our survivors. Locke's death would make that entire story pointless...you can't expose the idea of Jacob and then kill Locke. You just can't. I don't think Locke is dead. I think...


Locke is alive.
Locke has to be alive...not necessarily because of the island's healing powers, but just because of Locke's awesomeness powers. Someone is going to come upon him and help him out of the body pit. I've been thinking it would be Alex or Karl, but now that they are involve in that whole pregnant-kidnapping story, it must be someone else. Ideas? Well, let's just say Person X will help Locke out of the whole and he will live. Now what?

We need to figure out what Locke's motivation will be after his heart-wrenching Bentrayal (ben+betrayal...awesome). Locke used to view Ben as a step towards answering the island's greatest mysteries. Will that change now, after Ben tried to kill him? Yes, I think it will. Although he still has an obsession with what this island is, I don't think he will turn to Ben for these answers anymore. That being said, who will he work with? My money is on Richard. Locke still wants to stay on this island and will do anything to keep "rescue" from coming. If you remember last time someone tried to communicate with the radio tower, you'll remember that Locke admitted he was the one who knocked out Sayid when he was using the transceiver...yeah, that whole scene was crazy! I think it is going to happen again. I think Locke is going to come upon the radio tower and Jack & Co...and try to hinder their efforts to use the iPhone.



The Greatest Hits

Charlie writes down his own personal "greatest hits" for Desmond to give to Claire following Charlie's death. In this episode, all five greatest hits come full circle:

5. Hearing "You All Everybody" on the radio for the first time.
  • Naomi reveals that, following the "death of Charlie" on Oceanic 815, Drive Shaft released a Greatest Hits album in his honor.
4. Showing his father that he knows how to swim.


  • Charlie swims to the Looking Glass.

3. When Liam gave him the DS ring. It initally did not stand for Drive Shaft; instead, it represents initials of an ancestor.

  • Charlie left the DS ring in Aaron's crib. Recall, Liam initally gave it to Charlie because he didn't trust himself and thought Charlie would be the one to succeed. Specifically, Liam said "give this ring to your kid." (anyone else wipe a tear away when Charlie said "I love you, Aaron" right before he left? sigh...)
2. When Nadia told Charlie that he was a hero after he rescued her from a mugger in the alley. (Welcome back, torture survivor Nadia! How is the new home treating you??)

  • Charlie is the hero for our group -- he goes to the Looking Glass to save them all.
1. Meeting Claire for the first time following the crash.
  • Seeing Claire for the last time before she and Aaron head off to the radio tower with Jack. I don't know about you, but I think they are setting Hurley up to be Claire's new best friend...I loved it when he offered to help her with Aaron and her things. And, since Hurley lost his GF Libby, he'll be a nice companion for Claire who is almost certain to lose her BF Charlie.

Where do we go from here?

As you all saw, tonight at 10/9C is a Lost clips show, hosted by Damon and Carlton (the producer, not the Fresh Prince guy). MAN! This week is like the last week of high school...when you get to do all of these cool things and not really have to work at all. Like, last night was Lost. Tonight is Lost. And then next Wednesday is a two hour Lost! Score! Senior Week!

Okay, nevermind.

But really, what a way to end it all. My predictions about what will happen next week:

1. Locke will live and somehow meet up with our guys at the radio tower.

2. Sayid, Jin and Bernard will all live. If they were going to die, they would have made more of an effort to "close" their character's stories.

3. Some of the 10 Others who are coming to the beach are going to die. We don't know anyone who is coming in that crew, though, so I don't know if their deaths will be that big of a deal.

4. Charlie will flip the switch and Jack & Co. will get a signal off the island to someone (Penny, maybe?)

5. Desmond will wake up on the boat (the explosion might wake him up?) and dive down to the station to try to save Charlie, but will be too late. Charlie will die.

My questions about what will happen next week:

1. So if they're not going to live on the beach or in the caves or in a hatch, where are our Survivors going to live?? Are they going to back to the beach? Isn't that kind of, oh, I don't know, dangerous?

2. The preview shows Jack saying "I love you" to someone, presumably Kate. I mean...whoah. He does love her, but what happens to make him tell her that?

3. Penny is listed in the cast list for next week...how will she tie into the episode??

4. Where is psycho Mikhail these days? Until I know, I will continue to be scared. (By the way, someone named Mikhail is coming into the office next week to meet with my boss. I'll be honest...I'm kind of freaking out about it. I mean, what if it is really Mikhail from Lost????)

5. In the words of Le Ann Rimes, circa '99:



How do I get through one [Wednesday] without [Lost]

If I had to live without you [until January 2008]

What kind of life [will] that be

Oh I, I need you in my [TiVo]

Need you to [watch]

You're my world, my heart, my soul

If you ever leave [for eight months]

[J.J.] you would take away everything good in my life

And tell me now

How do I live without [Lost]

I want to know

How do I breathe without [Lost]

If [Lost] ever [goes away for eight months]

How do I ever, ever survive

How do I

How do I

Oh, how do I live?

2 Snarky Comments:

Unknown said...

i'm not going to lie, i'm a strong enough adult to admit this. every time charlie added something to his list, i might have started crying. i've come to love that crazy little hobbit. oh, and when he left the ring for aaron....heartbreaking. i can't wait for next week!!

bret welstead's old profile said...

Charlie (blogger, not LOST character), you are my hero. This blog is awesome. I'm going to link to it on my blog: bretwelstead.blogspot.com.

As soon as Charlie brought out the ring, my wife said, "Wait a minute... the ring?" To which I replied, "Not the One Ring, my dear." But it is funny that the hobbit reveals a ring.

Can't wait 'til Wednesday! 2-hour finale! Senior Week rules!