(Rev) Uptown Sun

on

D.O.C.

I’ll be honest. I didn’t think there was going to be much to Wednesday’s episode of Lost. Jin Kwon and Sun Paik-Kwon? Yeah, I know their story – the flashback’s have all been quite similar. Subtitles, adultery, Korean underworld fighting, I know the drill. And they all teach the same “Uptown Girl” lesson:

Uptown girl (That would be Sun)
She's been living in her uptown world (She lives in a Fancy Korean Castle)
I bet she never had an up street guy (Like that waiter named Jin who is serving her the food)
I bet her mama never told her why (No, her Mom wants her to marry the hotel guy)

I'm gonna try for an uptown girl (I’ll just go serve her some of this food)
She's been living in her white bread world (Or her “Baechu Kimchi world”)
As long as anyone with hot blood can (Sun has hot blood like all mammals)
And now she's looking for a downtown man (Like Jin)
That's what I am! (Yes, like Jin!)


So when I changed the channel from “Idol Gives Back” to “D.O.C.”, I wasn’t expecting much. But I was pleasantly surprised. There was more to this episode than met the eye.

Let’s walk through some of the highlights of the episode together, shall we?

That station freaks me out.
I hate light that makes a noise like a mosquito catcher as it blinks…the fluorescent one. CREEEEEEEEPY. As Juliet led Sun into the locker room, I caught myself wondering if they were going to dress up in Others clothes. But then that didn’t make any sense, so I stopped thinking about it. And then, like a scene out of “Scooby Doo”, the locker room wall came out of its hinges and revealed an airtight OB-GYN clinic. The pregnant women on this listserv (I know there are at least two of you...) can speak to this better than I, but how many of you would just submit to a check-up in this atmosphere? I certainly would not be game for it. At least turn on some lights, Jules!

So the ultrasound revealed a 53 day old being inside of our little Yunjin. She’s been on the island for 90 days, so what does that mean? (drum roll please) It is Jin’s baby!!!!! Or is it? I am not entirely convinced that our friend Juliet is telling the truth.

Is Juliet telling the truth?
What if Juliet is lying to Ben about Sun's baby's daddy? If Juliet knows that Sun's baby was conceived off island, she knows that baby and mother will likely survive. If she tells Ben that the baby was conceived on island, he will assume that Juliet has finally cracked the island's fertility problems and release her.

The only FOR SURE we know about Jules is that she has wanted to get off this island for the past 2 years. That's all she wants. That is her "end goal"…her motivation. She is going to do whatever it takes to get off the island. She is playing the roles that will let her do that…I think she is playing both "sides" (others and survivors) trying to maximize her chances of living and leaving.

I do not believe that Sun's baby is Jin's baby.

And I think Jules is trying to get the hell of this island.

Discuss.

And, how is Juliet going to get “Austen’s sample” for Ben?

Mikhail returns:
Now I’m not going to make you go back and read my previous episode summaries. But may I remind you that I, indeed, correctly predicted that Mikhail did not die during the ears-bleeding/electric fence scene a few weeks ago. I believe the explanation I gave at the time was “THIS IS LOST, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!” Indeed, this is Lost and the island healed his battered ear drums and raised him up Josh-Groban style. Mikhail’s back…and this surely means trouble for our Lostians. Might I remind you that a few people have tried to kill this guy? Oh, and our guys killed his BFF Bea Klugh in front of his eyes? Yeah, he is not pleased with all of us.

However, McPatchy was able to save our new parachuting friend, Naomi (we know her name is Naomi from the ABC press releases, although it has not been revealed officially in the dialogue of the show). She had a punctured lung from the tree (my gosh, that looked painful, didn’t it?) and McPatchy came to the rescue in return for his freedom. After a failed shoplifting attempt of the not-iPhone that Naomi had, McPatchy was outta there. I’m not sure how, but I think the fact that Desmond followed through with the release of McPatchy will mean good things for Desmond in the future. It is a bargaining chip that he now has…that Charlie, Hurley and Jin do not have. It will be interesting to see how this develops over the next four weeks, because you can mark my words that McPatchy will be back!!!

I need to know the 5 W’s (and 1 H) about Naomi: who, what, where, when, why and how.
My predictions:

Who is Naomi?
I think Naomi has been sent by Penny to find Desmond. I don’t think she really “knew” where she was going, but knew the general direction of her quest. I think she has some connection to the Portuguese guys in the igloo from season 1, but I am not sure yet.

What is she doing here?
She is definitely here to find Desmond, not Flight 815. (More on that later)

Where did she come from?
She came from wherever Penny’s operation is headquartered. Now, I don’t necessarily think that Penny’s operation is formal (like, I don’t think there is a “building”), but she definitely has a network of people working for her to find Des.

When did she leave?
Tough to say, though I don’t think she’s been looking for Des for too long. After all, in Lost time, the purple sky/hatch blows up incident didn’t happen very long ago.

Why is she looking for Des?
Because Penny realized she loved Des and she wants to find him.

How did she crash?
Stupid magnetic island. It will get you every time.

Naomi speaks in foreign languages…so what did she say?
My online investigations have revealed the following:

"Me estoy muriendo" is Spanish for "I am dying".
"Aiutami, sto morendo" is Italian for "Help me, I'm dying".
"出了什么事?(chu le shen me shi)" is Chinese for "What happened?" or "What's going on?"
After Mikhail and Desmond treat Naomi's wound, she says something in Portuguese not spelled out in the captions. It is not "Thank you," as Mikhail claims. Instead, it sounds like "Eu não estou só" which is Portuguese for "I am not alone."

Is Naomi really “not alone”, as she supposedly said?
The bag that they found with the Catch-22 book in Portugese might be hers, but might be someone else’s. I’m going to put $5 on black and bet that she is, indeed, not alone and that one of the Portuguese igloo guys is with her and crash landed somewhere else nearby. And I think he’s going to wander into their island lives very soon.

The wreckage of 815 was found. There were no survivors. Everyone is dead.
Start your conspiracy theory engines, team.

Do we have a huge Widmore cover-up on our hands? They bought a plane and staged a crash somewhere. (Note: If you have watched the extras on the Lost Season 1 DVD, are you also freaked out on how this parallels how the Lost producers set up the initial crash scene in Hawaii? They bought a plane, brought it to Hawaii, set up the crash, and filmed it…sounds familiar, huh?)

So what does that mean? No one is looking for our 815 survivors. However:
1. Penny is looking for Desmond (we know this).
2. Can we assume Juliet’s sister is looking for Juliet? (as someone with a sister, I’d be looking for my sister…)
3. Are there other people who were brought to the island by Ben/”Jacob”? Probably…

Our 815-ers will need to use these people to get off this island, right?

ALTERNATE THEORY:
Naomi is a liar. She is working with Ben. She is an Other or a Dharma or something. She has been placed here to convince the 815-ers that they are stuck here forever and might as well accept it…and take part in their experiments.


I’m not sure what I think, but I can tell you (two semi-sleepless nights later) that I’m thinking about it a lot.

Get ready for an action-packed episode next week with our man Locke. It is time to pick up that crazy story line and run with it. We’re coming to the end, team. Lean on each other during this time…we all need support.

Namaste,
-Maggie

1 Snarky Comments:

Charlie said...

Here is what Jeff "Doc" Jensen had to say about Maggie's review -- hooray Maggie! Props from the godfather!

I'm all about the Uptown Girl analysis. Well done!

It seems everyone doesn't believe Naomi is telling the truth about the castaways, that she's an Other and this is more Other mindgame madness. And clearly, given that we know that The Others are affiliated with Mittelos Biosciences, and Mittelos has an aviation division (possibly a secret one at that), then I guess it's possible that the Others would have the means to plant plane wreckage.

And yet, because this is what EVERYONE is assuming, then I think we have to be on guard for a Black Rock fake-out here, i.e., Lost is leading us to believe in one possibility, will then then go another, suprising way. Here's one reason why we should be dubious of the Others/plane wreckahe theory: As we saw in Juliet's episode, the disappearance of Oceanic 815 was noticed IMMEDIATELY by the world at large. (Proof: Patchy watching news coverage of the disappearance shortly after the plane crashed on The island. ) How did the Others move so quickly as to secretly plant wreckage without being detected by search crews who surely would have been mobilized sooner?

Finally, it's my wife's belief that what Naomi said to Patchy was: "I know you."

Hope this emails finds you all well,

Jeff "Doc" Jensen