Feel it, HOTH HOTH HOTH!

on

Happy Wednesday!

Before I start this preview, I am going to be honest with you: I’m pretty nervous about this post! Tonight's episode, Some Like It Hoth, seems to be a combination of two references:

1. The 1959 comedy
Some Like It Hot, starring Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon.
2. The planet Hoth in the (yawn)
Star Wars Universe

So
why am I nervous? Well, I have (shockingly) never seen the movie Some Like It Hot, and (prepare yourself, Lincoln...) I have barely seen Star Wars. I know, I know. Cue the gasps of horror and dropped jaw. I’m not sure if I am ashamed or proud…but I’m sure you’ll tell me how I should feel in the comments section.

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize I should ask Charlie to switch preview/review writing until it was too late…so you’re stuck with me! Thank goodness for Wikipedia!!

Some Like it Hot
Okay, let’s start with the plot of the movie,
Some Like It Hot. As I understand it…

Two struggling musicians (Curtis & Lemmon) witness a gangster murder. BUT, they are spotted by the gangsters! (Oh no!) So the two of them decide to flee town and take jobs in an all-girls band (headlined by Marilyn Monroe) headed to Florida (they cross-dress). Both Lemmon and Curtis fall in love with Marilyn Monroe (her name in the show is “Sugar” Kane). A male millionaire falls in love with one of them (thinking he is a she), and a wacky hijinx ensues. Apparently the ending involves the object of the millionaire’s affections pulling off his wig, yelling “I’m a man!”, to which the millionaire responds “Well, nobody’s perfect.”

Sounds hilarious, huh?

And what about Hoth?
Okay, forgive me on this one. (yawn) In the fictional universe of
Star Wars, Hoth is the sixth planet of the Hoth System. The planet Hoth is covered with ice and snow, has numerous moons, and is unfortunately pelted by meteorites from a nearby asteroid belt. The native creatures of Hoth include the wampa and the tauntaun.

(long pause)

If you are like me, you have no idea what the heck a wampa or a tauntaun are (…nor do you know how to pronounce the darn words). Well, apparently, wampas are fictional predators resembling Yetis. Tauntauns are bipeds that look like odd...dinosaur-horses of some sort.

Uh, really weird...

So, how does any of this relate to Lost?
Well, from the episode description and the previews we’ve seen, I think it makes sense how the movie fits in. We are gong to see Miles and Hurley on a journey (delivering some sort of package to an important Dharma official...more below). Are they going to cross dress like Curtis & Lemmon? No, I don’t think so…that’s just not something any of us need to see.

Instead, I think the ‘cross dressing’ analogy comes from the fact that Miles and Hurley are pretending to be Dharma…and attempting to avoid capture/attack from ‘real’ Dharma or the Others, just like the characters in the movie were avoiding the gangsters. Also similar to the movie, let’s be honest: a Miles and Hurley delivery is almost a guaranteed ‘wacky hijinx’. There will definitely be some humor and comedy, too…which will be a nice break from the really heavy science-y storylines we have had so far this season.

As far as the Hoth part of the title, I’m struggling. I guess you could say that Smokey is like a wampa? Uh…all of you big
Star Wars fans out there, here’s your chance to share all the (worthless) knowledge I know you have in our comments section…I need your help!

Tonight’s Guest Stars
As it has been the entire season, tonight’s guest star list gives us a pretty decent idea of what is going to go down:

Francois Chau as Dr. Pierre Chang, Marsha Thomason as Naomi Dorrit, Doug Hutchison as Horace Goodspeed, Patrick Fischler as Phil, Jon Gries as Roger Linus, Eric Lange as Radzinsky, Leslie Ishii as Lara, Brad William Henke as Bram, Dean Norris as Howard Gray, Tim DeZarn as Trevor, Lance Ho as young Miles and Linda Rose Herman as Evelyn.

Based on the previews, guest stars and description, it is clear we are going to have a Miles episode…which is the first Freighter team member’s flashback we’ve had since season 4! Yay!

I’m semi-excited to see Naomi come back, mainly because I think her accent is pretty awesome. Naomi on the list means that we will probably see a pre-Island flashback conversation/situation between her and Miles. We know that Abaddon forced Naomi to put Miles on the Freighter Team, maybe we’ll figure out why he was so insistent. Did Abaddon know about Miles ability to commune with the dead? Actually, is Miles’ ability to communicate with the dead widely known? And what, exactly, is the extent of his powers? How does he have these powers? Anyone else wondering if it was standard superhero-style radiation (Jughead, anyone), or was it maybe inherited from a lineage of dead-people-talking ancestors?

Actually, segue with me...

Speaking of ancestors, this week appears like it will confirm many of our suspicions that Miles is the child of Pierre Chang we saw in episode 1 this season, who seems to feature prominently in this episode based on the preview. With Young Miles and Lara (friendly reminder that Lara was the name of Pierre’s wife) making an appearance, it looks to be pretty obvious. Then again, if it is revealed, it will be rather anticlimactic, don't you think? I mean, nearly everyone is assuming this is the case. Also, I am not sure what will happen if now-Miles interacts with young Miles. Seems like that would be…bad. On a lot levels.

This is what I’m thinking: I’m wondering if Pierre knows who Miles is…in the same way that Faraday thought Ellie “looked familiar.” Perhaps Pierre has this gut feeling about Miles, which is why he trusts him to deliver whatever this important package is. Maybe Miles shares information with 1977 Pierre about what is going to happen, which is how Pierre knows to build the Orchid, understands the frozen donkey wheel, etc. Because, let’s be honest: even though Horace appears to be in charge…Pierre appears to know an awful lot…

And the description says…
Suspicions about a possible breach intensify after Ben is taken from the infirmary, and a reluctant Miles is forced to work with Hurley when he's asked to deliver an important package to a top Dharma official.

Well, it looks like the inevitable has arrived: time is running out for Sawyer’s perfect life as a Dharma. I’m gathering that tonight will take place concurrent to the events from “Dead is Dead”, but from the perspective of Dharma instead. In other words, we’re back to young Ben disappearing from the infirmary…and Kate & Sawyer are suddenly missing. Given Horace and Phil’s obvious suspicions about the flaming Dharma van from “Whatever Happened, Happened”, it shouldn’t take too long for them to start blaming the new recruits, especially talk-back-Jack and suddenly-suspicious-Sawyer.

However, the main storyline of the episode will likely revolve around Miles and his UPS package delivery to a top Dharma official. Two huge questions right off the bat: what is the package and who is the Dharma official? I’m going to turn to you for ideas about the package…I actually have no ideas. Anyone? Anyone?

There are a number of guest stars we haven’t met, so that might be the Dharma official. But what if it is someone we know? Like…Christian Shepherd? Oh man, that would be insane. And fantastic!

Should be fun…
It should be fun, no matter what. I’m looking forward to some new Hurley-isms and some sarcastic Miles, which always makes me smile.

Sorry this is so short, but I’m not sure what to think about a lot of this. Any
Star Wars fans want to chime in? Who do you think the Dharma official is? And what about this package? And do you think Pierre is Papa Bear to Miles? Comment away!

Namaste,
Maggie

10 Snarky Comments:

Batman said...

I have to say first off, I am HIGHLY disappointed that you've not seen the Star Wars saga. C'mon, The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest movies ever! Seriously!

As far as Lost referencing Hoth, this one has me stumped. In ESB the Rebel Alliance was hiding from the Empire on Hoth, but when the Empire found them they attacked which led to the coolest snow-speeder vs. AT-AT fight you have ever seen. Interpreting that for the non-Star Wars initiated, the bad guys found the good guys and attacked them with huge, mechanical four-legged "walkers" and the good guys fought back in ships that flew right above the ground.

So where does Lost come in? You got me. Maybe it's a reference to the frozen donkey wheel (since Hoth is a frozen planet). Maybe there will be some kind of battle (Dharma vs. the Hostiles?).

Here's a thought: maybe it's actually a reference to Miles. Miles has some sort of communion with dead people (not sure if he talks to them, but I don't think he's ever seen them). In the Empire Strikes back, after escaping from a Wampa, an injured Luke Skywalker stumbles into the elements. As he lay dying, the dead Obi-Wan Kenobi appeared to him and told him to go to Dagobah and find Yoda, who would teach him the ways of the Force. It was after that that Han Solo found and rescued Luke.

So maybe Miles, who has previously spoken with dead people but not actually seen them (much like Luke), will see a dead person (Christian? or someone else?) who will give him some kind of vital information. Just a thought anyway. Really it's the best I can come up with.

Finally, you really need to see Star Wars, Maggie. All the way through. But start with the old ones, they're the best ones anyway. Like I said, Empire Strikes Back = one of the greatest movies ever.

The Glamour Machine said...

I definitely like the prospect of a Hurley/Miles-centric episode. Especially since their exchange from a few episodes ago that mirrored the conversations that were taking place here. I'm not even going to bother to speculate on the outcome - I'm usually way off base anyway!

I agree with Batman that Empire is far and away the best of ALL of the Star Wars movies. It's a really fun adventure and can almost be watched without really having to know all the surrounding mythology behind the larger story. If you have a basic idea of the characters, you're in good shape.

You MUST, however, try to find time to see Some Like It Hot. It is an absolute classic. Despite that rather bland description that you found, it's some of the snappiest dialogue and funniest reactions I've ever seen. Curtis and Lemon are an incredible team. It set the stage for EVERY misunderstanding or fish out of water-type movie or TV show that followed. Looking forward to tonight!

Bruce said...

What if "Some Like It Hoth" was so titled because as Hurley and Miles go on their walkabout together they discuss all things nerd, including staple Star Wars references? Some Like it Hot was a funny, buddy movie so that ties in with Hurley and Miles too.

I think you nailed this one Maggie.

And no worries on the Star Wars thing. You're just missing out on one of the most important trilogies in the history of science fiction movie history, ever. In the history of ever.

Tim said...

So, when you mentioned that Hoth is a planet of ice and snow, I recalled the episode in Lost where we get a snippet of the two gentlemen in a tent in the middle of nowhere caught up in snow and ice. They then make a phone call saying something to the effect of "Ms. Widmore, I think we've found it."

Maybe it has something to do with that? Probably not. Just a thought.

bret welstead said...

Yeah, I think I agree with Bruce. The Some Like It Hot reference most likely means that hijinks and hilarity a la the classic film will ensue. And the "Hoth" reference most likely refers to Miles and Hurley finally putting their understanding-of-time-travel differences aside in order to discuss a movie series that had a huge impression on me as a lad, and indeed, on the rest of modern nerd culture.

One other posit (yes, that's a word, I looked it up). In the Star Wars universe, Hoth was where the Rebel forces set up their new base in order to stay hidden from the Empire. Maybe Kate, Jack, Sawyer, and the rest of the Losties are forced to seek refuge somewhere else when the finger is pointed at them? Or maybe that part of the plot comes later. They'd probably build up to it a bit more, I guess.

Should be a great episode, regardless!

Justin said...

Okay. Skip Star Wars 1, 2 and 3. But 4, 5 and 6 are a must see, at least a dozen times over. And if you really wanna feel warm and fuzzy inside, you'll watch all three of them in succession, in one sitting. At least 3 weekends in a row. Not that I have. I'm just saying, that's all.

I don't have much to contribute other than, I think the older Miles running in to the little Miles possibility seems to squash the thinking that Big Ben killed little Ben so that he could occupy the same place and time theory. Or has that already been squashed? I dunno. I'm curious to see if Miles is even Chang's son. Just because Miles is oriental doesn't necessarily mean he is Chang's offspring. Although, admittedly I am on that bandwagon. As long as Sun isn't Miles long lost sister or something...

Anyway...I don't articulate as well as others on this, but a co-worker of mine, Shawn, mentioned that there might be significance to the fact that Star Wars was created in 1977. ESB was in 1981, but maybe Bruce is right about Hurley and Miles nerding out about it and thus the reference. Gonna be fun watching. That I know!

Batman said...

Actually I really liked Ep.III, I thought it was on par with the original trilogy.

I'm on board with Hurley and Miles nerding it out, makes perfect sense, and really it's the simplest and most logical answer.

And actually Justin, ESB came out in '80, not '81. The original trilogy were all released three years apart - '77, '80, '83. Not sure if the fact that they are in the '70s is important or not.

Justin said...

Thank you for correcting me Batman about ESB coming out in 1980. I was relying on my lazy memory instead of using something resourceful...such as...say...the internets!?!

My guess is if there is any significance to the whole hoth thing other than the donkey wheel idea, or hurley and miles nerding out, is that possibly, while hurley and miles talk about Star Wars, obviously having seen it, are heard by other Dharma people who know it hasn't even come out yet, thus coinciding with Sawyers time running out for the perfect little Dharma setup. One could wonder I suppose.

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree about Ep.III. They say one man's trash is another man's treasure. I thought it pretty stinky.

Have fun watchin tonight!

LJLA said...

This situation will be remedied.

Anonymous said...

Mags...I own Some Like It Hot. Lets share some popcorn and watch it together! -Megan