How Do You Feel Today?

on


Do you remember those posters entitled "How Do You Feel Today?". They were big white posters filled with faces displaying different emotions -- mad, sad, glad, afraid, ashamed, hurt, happy, etc. I think one of my fourth grade teachers, Ms. Zimmerman, had one on the wall.

As I mentally prepare for this evening's finale, I am reminded of the poster because of the wide ranging emotions I am feeling. For today's post, I'm going to walk you through my complex emotions...which will hopefully help YOU prepare.

Let us begin.

Agonized
I have spent the last several weeks agonizing over the decision the O6 make as they leave the island...it is becoming increasingly evident that they left fellow survivors behind, alive. How did they make this decision? Why did they make this decision? What made one survivor more deserving of rescue than another (poor Rose and Bernard!)? Who made the decision about who stays and who goes?

Anxious
Just as Charlie's previous post discussed, I've also been very anxious about the Frozen Donkey Wheel. Although I think the idea of a donkey moving a large wheel, which then moves the island (interesting visual, Charlie), I think it is more of a theortical title for a mystery that we cannot even comprehend. I mean, did anyone see the flash-forward coming last season? No. So how can we even predict what the FDW will be?

Cautious
Call me crazy, but I get cautious when I see explosives. Whenever you run into a storyline that involves a room on a boat full of explosives, you have to worry about the safety of individuals inside of that room. I'm just saying things don't look great for Jin, Michael, and Desmond. My prediction? Jin dies. Michael dies. And (Lord, please let) Desmond live(s).

Concentrating
I'm concentrating on piecing together all the information we have about the four-toed statue. It was apparently from a colossal statue that was never finished, or has crumbled, or has been destroyed. We have learned the statue pre-dates the arrival of the DHARMA Initiative on the Island in the late 1970s. It was also 'guessed' that the foot stood at about 40ft. Based on this estimated height, it can be assumed that the completed statue would be roughly 250ft tall (about the height of a 30-story office building). ...All together now: Huh? Are we ever going to address this randomness??

Confident
I'm absolutely confident that Ben has a plan...and we shouldn't be deceived by his apparent vulnerability in the final scene of Part 1. Ben always has a plan. Ben is always in control. Well, except for when Alex got killed. So not always. But most of the time. But I'm still confident that Ben has a plan and is in control at this very moment, whenever it falls in the timeline of Lost.

Curious
We've talked about this before, but I'm going throw out for discussion my curiosity about Charles Widmore and his connection to DHARMA and the island. When did it start? What does he know? Is he the 'good guy' or the 'bad guy'? I'm not sure if we will find out any more information tonight, but I'm still curious about it.

Disgusted
I remain disgusted by the pile of decomposing DHARMA bodies, the bug-infested bodies of Danielle and Karl, and the bodies of Adam and Eve in the cave. The Lost prop people are pretty darn good at their jobs...because I can't get those images out of my head. (And I'm wondering whose body will be added to the pile tonight...).

Frightened
The Keamy & Co. team, camoflauge and all, makes my heart race...and not in a good way. They are very frightening because they appear to not have hearts. When I think about the damage that they can do (note: Keamy's iPod explosive detonantor on his arm)...it is truly exhaustive. Locke, Ben and Hurley are at the Orchid, where Keamy & Co. are at this moment. So, who does this spell bad news for? FREAK OUT!

Grieving
I know I've complained about her character in the past, but Claire's (apparent) death really has me grieving. Perhaps it is more grief for Aaron than it is for Claire, but nevertheless. Her death means Aaron has lost his mother. Her death also means she won't be able to watch her son grow up. No matter if you like Claire or not, that is pretty sad.

Lovestruck
I remain lovestruck watching Jack prance through the jungle (yes, prance). Enough said.

Optimistic
We know that the O6 survive whatever is going to happen tonight, which makes me optimistic on some levels. The flash forward has changed so much about Lost. We don't know how many years have elapsed since the O6 left the island, or what happened in the meantime. Did the other crash survivors die? Are they stuck as they were before? Or have they managed to escape off-camera? Truth be told, without these plot points, I don't know whether to think of the O6 as heroes or as Judases who have somehow betrayed the likes of Sawyer and everyone else still there.

Paranoid
Anyone else see Ben's buggy eyes staring at you when you are alone in your house at night? Yeah, me either. Anyone besides Charlie wondering if Walt is going to sneak out from behind a tree in tonight's episode and give instructions to someone? Yeah, me either.

What Lost has accomplished through its flash-forwards is nerve-racking. Instead of waiting for a bomb to go off or not go off, we are transported to a time after the bomb has or has not exploded...only we don't know which. Without a frame of reference, we all experience serious paranoia and anxiety, doubting even our most basic assumptions about the world the characters live in.

Perplexed
I have read a number of reasons that Desmond might die tonight in a few blogs. I am perplexed by this because I just don't see how this can happen. Desmond HAS to reunite with Penny, right? There is no way that he can die tonight because he HAS to see her again, right? I'm perplexed because I am positive that, someday, Penny is going to show up on the island. If Desmond dies, someone is going to have to tell her the truth...and Lord if I can actually watch that scene without passing out. I can't. I just can't. Desmond HAS TO LIVE.

Sad
You all know that I am a Jack-Kate fan. I'm sad because of the final future scene we watched with them...Jack was yelling, Kate was crying, and there appeared to be some serious domestic un-bliss. The Lost producers have told us that tonight will shed some significant light on what the "end" is for the Kate-Jack-Sawyer love triangle. My gut tells me that it is going to end with a Kate-Sawyer scene that will blow "Gone With the Wind"'s library scene with Scarlet and Rhett out of the water. ...Okay, so maybe that is an exaggeration, but I think Kate and Sawyer are going to be "til death do us part." And that makes me sad.

Shocked
In Part 1 of the finale, Ben gave Locke some very bizarre instructions regarding entrance into the Orchid. Apparently there is an elevator inside of the falling-apart building...and the elevator leads to the REAL station...and Locke has some stuff to do in the basement. We've seen the basement in the Orchid Instructional Video that was released last summer (you can youtube it if you missed it). From what we know, there is some strange rabbit experimentation going on in the Orchid basement. Sounds like a wild time. I just know that I am going to be shocked when we finally see the real station...and figure out just what-on-earth (or not) is happening down there.

Surprised
Who is in the coffin? We've been told we are going to find out tonight. The predictions are fairly uniform: Locke, Ben, or Michael. As I discussed with Charlie in last week's "Lost Duel" post, I think it is Locke. Why? Well, Ben always has a plan...and SOMEONE would have shown up for Michael's funeral (Mom, son, etc.). I know my "Ben has a plan" theory seems like a cop-out, but like I've said before, that man is tied to the island. And he will die protecting that island. But no matter who is in that coffin, we are all going to be surprised.

Withdrawn
I used to work in an office where nearly every person watched Lost. (You know who you are.) I now work in an office where I can count the Lost watchers on one hand. As we enter this finale, I'm finding myself feverishly searching the internet for any theories (no spoilers, though) or articles I can find on what may or may not happen tonight. Instead of sharing my discoveries with the whole room, however, I'm forced to just nod to myself and keep going. What a pathetic, withdrawn existence. I seriously NEED to get a life...


And with that, enjoy tonight, folks!! It is going to be quite a ride! Don't forget to come back tomorrow and read what Charlie the Wise Oracle has to say.

We've GOTTA go back...

Namaste,
Maggie

0 Snarky Comments: